Vegan Cold Beet Soup
Who said that people who do not eat dairy could not enjoy cold beet soup? Before, I thought there is no way to make it without kefir, but it’s not true.
I believe that this soup might sound weird to non-Lithuanians, but believe me, this is the best soup you could make in the summer, and not only. It’s very refreshing, but also very filling.
So here is my vegan version of cold beet soup. And others couldn’t even tell the difference. ;)
- 1 liter of soy milk (unsweetened);
- juice from 1.5 lemons;
- ~2 cups marinated beetroots (go for apple juice marinade);
- 120 g chopped cucumbers;
- handful of fresh chopped dill;
- handful chopped spring onions;
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kala namak salt;
- 1 teaspoon sugar;
- pinch of salt
- First, mix the milk with lemon juice and let it sit for 5 minutes until it gets thicker (like kefir).
- Add kala namak, salt, sugar, and mix.
- Add beetroots, cucumber, fresh dill, spring onions, and combine.
- I recommend leaving the soup to rest for about 10 minutes before serving it.
- Eat it with boiled or fried potatoes.
Share with your fellow quarantiners abroad:
Still hungry? Have a look at the recipes below:
Polish Pickle Soup
Sauerkraut and Cauliflower Soup